Thailand Travel Guide - with Wired Destinations
Discount Hotels in Thailand : Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Krabi, Phi Phi Islands, Koh Lanta, Khao Lak, Koh Chang, Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Kanchanaburi, Rayong, Trang, Northeast Thailand, Phitsanulok, Ranong, Tak, Narathiwat, Nakhon Si Thamarat, Other Thailand, Hat Yai, Chumpon, Trat
Thailand Diving - with Wired Destinations
Thailand provides the sports diver with ample diving and snorkelling opportunities. Generally, coral reefs are in good condition, particularly off shore. The sports diver is well received in Thailand and can choose from hundreds of dive shops. Just in Phuket, close to 80 dive shops welcome the diving enthusiast. The main dive destination in Thailand waters are without a doubt the Similan Islands. Located about 2-3 hours by boat from Phuket, these 9 islands are the premier dive live aboard destination off Phuket. Most Phuket dive shops provide 2-5 day trips. Phuket dive shops also prove more extended itineraries, which include Burma. Best time to schedule your Thailand diving adventure is November to March. The annual moon winds change direction around March and water off the Thailand west coast becomes rough, reducing underwater visibility to only a few meters.
Everything you need to know for your next Thailand diving excursion and much more can be found in Wired Destinations' Thailand Travel Guide, Thailand Travel Info, Thailand Insider Travel Tips, Thailand Shopping, Thailand culture and Thailand Travel Tips.
Diver education is the core revenue source of most Phuket dive shops. On offer are PADI and CMAS programs from beginner to Course Director. Local Phuket offshore dive sites are Racha Yai and Racha Noi - about 2 hours by boat, Phi Phi islands – about 3 hours, and Shark Point – about 2 hours. Most daytrips include 2 tank dives. Dive Masters speak fluent English.
Phuket is also the gateway to the Similan Islands. These nine islands offer superb Phuket diving from beginner to experienced level. Fantastic visibility, rich marine live and dramatic underwater scenery
Most popular Phuket dive shops
The Gulf of Thailand and Pattaya diving
Lots of dive shops in Pattaya. Offshore diving is not as good as off Phuket. However wreck diving is a valid alternative. The wreck of Hardeep, an Indonesian-registered freighter that sank in 1943, offers great marine life including Jacks, Trevellys, Butterflyfish, varieties of Angelfish, Queenfish, large Wrasse and many juvenile Barracuda. The wreck itself is only 42 meters in length and can easily be explored over one dive day.
Most popular Pattaya dive shops
The Gulf of Thailand and Koh Samui diving
Koh Samui and Koh Tao are year round diving destinations, but the best diving conditions you will find from May to August. Koh Samui diving is usually shallower, yet with great marine live. Diver education is one of the most important revenue streams for Koh Samui Dive Shops. PADI Diver Education for all levels is on offer, so are CMAS programs.
Most popular Koh Samui dive shops
The TDA was founded on 12th December 2004 and then registered as an official association in Thailand on 20th March 2005. The TDA is the national diving association of Thailand and internationally recognized as full voting member of the world underwater federation, the CMAS. More than 120 countries worldwide are associated with CMAS as they meet the same high and safe diving standards and the same structure as the CMAS organization. Therefore the TDA is also allowed to proudly call itself “CMAS Thailand!”
CMAS and the TDA are internationally recognized and cooperate with:
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)
- IOC (International Olympic Committee)
- IUCN (The World Conservation Union)
- GAISF (General Association of Sport Federations)
- IWGA (International World Games Association)
The main structure of the CMAS and all associated diving federations, as well as TDA, is
mainly based on a steering board, committees and commissions which e.g. outline diving standards.
Progress and activities of the TDA in the past three years
- TDA collected more THB 3.000.000 after the Tsunami in donations.
- TDA successfully supports the Phuket diving industry with legal advice and action
adhering to new “dive regulations” and new National Park rules on Phuket and Similan
- Cooperation with Badalveda Hyperbaric Chamber Network and insurance free of charge
for all TDA Students and members.
- Cooperation with Dive Master Insurance, an international insurance company
- Standards and guidelines for all levels of diving certificates and diving training.
- More than 200 TDA/CMAS instructors in Thailand (Thai nationals and foreigners)
- More than 100 TDA/CMAS academies and supporting members in Thailand
- Conduct more than 1.500 diving courses with TDA/CMAS certificates
- Conduct instructor courses for Royal Thai Navy Seals, Marine Police and Royal Thai
National Park Rangers.
- Trained Sea Gypsies in safe diving practices
- TDA created and found sponsorship to realize the artificial reef project in Phuket
- Numerous beach and reef cleaning events throughout the country
- Reef monitoring seminars and projects
- TDA established a Thai Monofin National Team that has already participated at
Asian Championships, at Akita, Japan in 2006 and at the World Championships in
Torino, Italy, 2007.
Many more TDA activities and events are planned.
How to become a member of TDA Diving Association (Thailand)?
Become a member of the TDA today!
Local TDA representatives take care of all inquiries and provide further
information and all necessary forms and paperwork you need
in order to become a part of the TDA family!
Thailand Diving Links